I was given the opportunity to try out the Merlot Collection by Vine Vera Skincare*. I’ve been trying out the products for about two weeks now. I wanted to try them out for a considerable amount of time so that I could provide a thorough review. The brand is themed around different types of wines. This is because Reservatrol is the active ingredient in most of their products; it’s what plants product to fight off attackers. Reservatrol is found in red wine, hence the names of their collection.
The collection I tried out is comprised of six products. This may sound like a lot, but you don’t have to use them all everyday. It’s really a great line. I really love how the products seemed to absorb right into my skin. They left my skin feeling silky and hydrated, without feeling heavy or greasy. Now of course, this brand won’t be for everyone, as it is quite pricey. But if you have some extra money to spend, I think that it would be a wise decision to invest in a good skin care system. Now, for my skincare tips, and some mistakes to avoid!
Seven Skincare Mistakes to Avoid:
With so many skincare products on the market, the hunt for the right skincare routine can seem endless. Your skin is very important. After all, the skin is our largest organ. The average human has about 8 pounds, or 22 square feet of it! Here are some mistakes that you could be possibly making with your skin.
- Over-cleansing: Washing your face too frequently will confuse your skin. People with oily skin sometimes think that if they cleanse more frequently, they’ll be less oily. This isn’t the case. Cleansing your skin more than twice a day will end up stripping your face of its natural oils. This will cause the oil producing glands, called sebaceous glands to overcompensate, and overproduce.
- Sleeping with make-up on: Yuck! I personally don’t understand how people can sleep with even a trace of make-up on. It’s just uncomfortable for me. When you sleep, you move around and some pressure is put onto your face. This pushes the cosmetics deeper into the pores, which will end up making them appear much larger.
- Applying your products in the wrong order: You may have the best skincare system out there, but if you aren’t using it correctly, what good is it? You typically want to be applying the thinner liquid products before the thick, creamier ones. For example, apply your serums and gels prior to your moisturizer.
- Not moisturizing your oily skin: You oily skin folks sometimes think that you don’t need to moisturize. Without a moisturizer, your skin will overcompensate, producing even more oil. Save your skin the work, and apply a lightweight moisturizer.
- Popping Pimples: Don’t do it! Unless a dermatologist is doing this, you will end up pushing bacteria deeper into your pores. If you really think it’s necessary, gently wash your face with a washcloth. If the pimple were ready to pop, this would be all of the pressure it needed.
- Not wearing sunscreen daily: Did you know that one bad sunburn before the age of 18 doubles your chances of developing melanoma? Protect your skin. I can’t wrap my head around the fact that so many girls my age are ruining their skin with tanning booths. Ensure that your sunscreen states that it’s “broad spectrum”. This simply means that it protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Over-exfoliating: Yes, it is important to exfoliate your skin, but no more than once or twice per week. The purpose of exfoliating is to get rid of the dead skin cells, bringing the new ones to the surface. If you use an exfoliator daily, you’re likely scrubbing off those perfectly new little cells!